Thursday, January 1, 2009

sleeping update - starting day four

So, the sleeping thing is not going so well. In the three days that we've been doing this, Judith as only actually slept for the second 45 minutes twice (I think...might be once). (I've also discovered that I can't rely on my memory for how she did each nap all day, and I'm starting a sleep journal again.) Her general pattern is to sleep for exactly45 minutes (you could set a watch!) and then to want to get up. She will make noise in her crib until I get her up. She is absolutely excited to see me every time I walk in to give her the pacifier back, and if I get her up and rock with her a little she will quite down and almost go back to sleep. But she doesn't sleep (the longest she's slept during that second cycle so far is about 15 minutes). Yesterday I know she didn't sleep any of the "extra" time, and it further proved the underlying theory (that she'll sleep better at night if she sleeps better during the day) because she only slept 8 1/2 hours last night (9-5:30). At 5:30 it took me half an hour to get her to go back to sleep...and then I woke her at about 7:00 to eat.

So I'm not really sure what I think about all this now. She gets SO upset now, if we leave the room when she's in her crib. Am I traumatizing her? (I'm sure I'm traumatizing me!) yet I really really want her to get enough sleep! I don't know what the answer is, and it's driving me crazy.

To top it all off, we leave for MI in less than a week, and I know none of this will hold up then!

No comments: