Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Rice Cereal!

At her 4 month checkup, the doctor told us that we should wait until she was six months old to give Judith any solid food. And that he'd give us guidelines for doing so at her 6 month checkup. That's only 10 days away, but lately Judith has been SO hungry (eating as often as I'll let her, and waking up twice in the middle of the night because she's so hungry) that I called this morning and asked if I could feed her solids a little early. They said yes! So today Judith and I went out and bought some organic brown rice cereal, and we fed it to her at dinner time.

The cereal itself was different than I expected, because I was equating rice cereal with grits, in my mind, and so I was expecting it to be quite thick. But it wasn't - it's really runny, which makes sense when I think about it! I was also expecting that Judith would eat a few bites and be done with it, but she kept wanting more...and wanting to hold the spoon for herself. It took her a little while to figure out how to actually eat it - mostly she sucked it off the spoon - but toward the end we were both getting a little more coordinated. She ended up eating about 3/4 of the bowl, and I think she'd have finished it if she hadn't got sick of being "held down" on Lance's lap.

So we're off to a good start, and we'll see if this helps the hunger problem!

2 comments:

Erin said...

Wow! I can't believe that Judith is almost 6 months! She is definitely adorable - and YEAH that she likes rice cereal? Are you mixing it with breastmilk or water? Hopefully it won't mess with her tummy tonight...good luck :)

Barbara Ford said...

I know, time goes so fast! And so far, so good on the rice cereal. I just mixed it with water, and it hasn't seemed to "mess her up" at all! Yay!