Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Thanksgiving

I should have blogged this a few days ago, but it's really the time of year where everything gets away from me!

Grandma Judi and Grandpa Ron came to celebrate Thanksgiving with us. Grandpa hadn't seen Judith since she was a week old! To make up for all the time he didn't get to spend with her, he spent as much time as possible with her for the few days they were here. Grandma only got to hold Judith a few times!

On Thanksgiving morning, we (Barbara, Lance, Judith, Ron and Judi) met Uncle Tim and Lance's nephew Brad to walk in the Run to Feed the Hungry. It's something that I've run every year since 2005, and I've always wanted to do it with family. According to the Sacramento Bee, almost 30,000 people participated this year, and Sacramento Food Bank and Family Services got approximately $750,000! With that many people, it was extremely crowded! It took us about 45 minutes to get to the parking lot--and we had to park about a mile away. With the 5k race and the mile-each-way that we had to walk to the start/from the finish, we walked 5 miles! Judith did very well being in the stroller for so long. Lance pushed her, and Brad periodically leaned in to entertain her :-). She talked (loudly!) for almost the whole race, and people kept turning around to find out what was making the noise. Because it was so crowded, the walk took us about an hour and a half - and Judith was very hungry by the end! I jogged the last mile back to the car so that I could feed her. She really enjoyed moving so fast in the stroller - every time I had to slow to a walk to catch my breath or wait for a slow group in front of me, she would yell, and wouldn't stop yelling until I was jogging again. But that doesn't mean I'm going to start jogging again...it's too hard on my body.

On Thanksgiving evening, Ruthanne (Rhone) Maschenko ( a friend from childhood that I've recently reconnected with via Facebook) came for dinner with her eight-year-old daughter. Originally her husband and one-year-old were supposed to come along, but they were home sick :-(. We still had a great time reconnecting!

Then, on Friday, we went to Tim and Sandy's for the whole, huge dinner. There were about 20 people. Judith did just fine being passed around from person to person, and she even fell asleep after dinner when I put her in the front pack and laid the blanket over her head.

No comments: