Wednesday, September 17, 2008

sleeping update

well. Judith made it 8 hours last night without eating. As I expected, she was awake at 4:00, but she was perfectly content to take the pacifier and snuggle with me for a few minutes before falling back asleep. (I sat in her room for a little while, praying that I was doing the right thing...and then went to back to bed and stared at the wall and prayed that I was doing the right thing.)

And she woke up at 6:00 and was ready to eat...except that she apparently wasn't as ravenous as she appeared, because she drifted off after only 10 minutes. I changed her diaper and woke her up, but she just wasn't interested in eating more. So we'll see how much she eats at the next feeding.

I'm (obviously) still a little uncertain about this. IS she getting enough food? (Everyone tells me that she'll let me know if she's hungry.) Am I just being selfish about sleep? After all, six hours (10-4) is a pretty great thing. At 6 1/2 weeks, is she too young for this? And the really big question: Is my body ever going to adjust to her eating schedule?

2 comments:

Barbara Ford said...

Today's crazy. Judith has slept ALL day - literally, she's been awake for maybe a total of two hours since 6:00 a.m. And that after she slept all night. She's also not been interested in eating much today (10 mins max). (and yes, I've tried to wake her up to eat more.) Is this a result of trying to get her to sleep 8 hours, or is it just independent? Whatever it is, it's WEIRD. Here's hoping she'll stay awake a little longer this evening, or she won't sleep at all tonight.

Barbara Ford said...

fortunately for my sanity, she's now made up the eating part. She actually ate for 30 minutes at 4, and for 20 minutes at 7:15. So I'm feeling better about that. Maybe she's tanking HERSELF up? I'm planning to try the pacifier thing again tonight if she wakes up.